Posted Sep 22, 2023, 09:06AM EDT
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Replace wing night with a simple version of the ever-popular buffalo chicken wings. Simmering sweet potato with the chicken makes for a thickened and more mellow version of the hot flavours. It’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser; double or triple the filling and use it as a taco filling.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 250 g boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts, chopped
- 1 Ontario Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Ontario Sweet Potato, peeled and diced (about
- 3 cups/750 mL)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) smokey barbecue sauce (or your favourite)
- 6 8-inch (15 cm) flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Ontario Monterey Jack
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) prepared ranch or blue cheese dressing
- 2 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander (Cilantro)
- Ontario Carrot and Celery Sticks
- Ranch dressing, to dip
- In large heavy skillet, over medium-high melt butter; add chicken, onion and sweet potato; cook stirring until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add hot sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked and potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in barbecue sauce; simmer uncovered until some of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. With fork mash sweet potato to make a thick creamy sauce.
- On work surface, lay down one flour tortilla; top with approximately 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken mixture. Top with 2 tbsp (25 mL) shredded cheese; roll up and place seam-side down in 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33cm) baking or casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas; top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are browned.
- Remove from oven; drizzle with 2 tbsp (25 mL) ranch dressing. Sprinkle with green onions and coriander.
- Serve with carrot and celery sticks and extra dressing.