Posted Nov 09, 2023, 09:35AM EST
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Standing Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 45 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
Apples add a twist to this popular tropical dessert. It is delicious warm or cold with custard sauce or whipped cream — and even fabulous for breakfast with Ontario Maple Syrup.
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) Ontario Milk or Light Cream
- 3 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 8 cups (2 L) stale white bread cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) rum or apple juice
- 2 Ontario Apples, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter, melted
- In large bowl, combine milk, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar.
- Stir in bread cubes; let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, combine raisins and rum; set aside.
- In another bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon and remaining sugar; add raisin and apple mixtures to softened bread, mixing well.
- Spread evenly in 8-x 12-inch (3 L) greased baking dish.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve warm or cold.